K-12 Students! The annual Growing Up Asian in America (GUAA) contest is now open. The deadline for submissions is March 15, 2019.
Join Asian Americans for Community Involvement (AACI) and enter in the art, essay, or video contest category for a chance to win $500 and be featured on NBC Bay Area.
This year’s contest theme is “My Contribution to America.”
Asian Americans have had a historical part in shaping our country from the building of the transcontinental railroad 150 years ago to demanding for ethnic studies in schools 50 years ago. To celebrate these events, we invite you to share what you would contribute or add to our country.
Use the questions below to help spark ideas. You do not have to answer any of the questions as long as your entry is about your contribution to America as an Asian or Pacific Islander.
- (K-5 only): What would you create to make the country better?
- What rules or laws would you make or change for the country?
- How would you make a difference? What do you want to be remembered for?
- Why do you think your idea(s) or other students’ ideas are important for the future of the country?
- What part (if any) does being Asian American play in your contribution?
Please note: Participants must live and/or attend a school within the following counties: Santa Clara, San Francisco, Contra Costa, Marin, Sonoma, Solano, Napa, Alameda, or San Mateo County.
10 Best in Class winners will win a $500 award & Honorable Mention winners will also be selected. All winners will have their entries showcased on the AACI website and have a chance to be featured on NBC Bay Area.