POSITION: Development Intern (or Volunteer) – Membership & Fundraising Projects
DURATION: August – December 2022, preferred with the option to extend if desired
TIME COMMITMENT: 10 – 15 hours per week (minimum of 10 hours/week preferred); may be asked to help with selected special programs and events on some weekends and evenings
COMPENSATION: Unpaid, college credit may be available (if currently enrolled in an accredited institution)
LOCATION: Given the continuing high number of COVID-19 cases in the Bay Area, CAAM’s staff and interns (or volunteers) are primarily working remotely until it is again safe to return to CAAM’s office in San Francisco on a more regular basis.
The Center for Asian American Media (CAAM) is a national organization dedicated to presenting stories that convey the richness and diversity of Asian American experiences to the broadest audience possible.
CAAM seeks a motivated and outgoing Development Intern (or Volunteer) – Membership & Fundraising Projects who is passionate about the Asian American community and media arts to assist CAAM’s Development department. The Development department manages all corporate sponsor, partner, Board Member, member and donor relationships, and development and fundraising events. The Development Intern (or Volunteer) – Membership & Fundraising Projects works closely with our Membership and Donor Relations Manager and CAAM staff to help manage and provide excellent customer service to CAAM Board Members, members, and donors, and assist with the execution of CAAM’s member/supporter outreach, stewardship and cultivation efforts, email communications, and other fundraising activities. The programs and special events that this position may be asked to assist with include, but are not limited to, CAAM’s fall 2022 and spring 2023 member/supporter events, and preparation for CAAMFest 2023 (May 2023), and other selected special programs and events.
The intern(s) will be introduced to Asian American history and the world of public and independent media at one of the most prestigious Asian American media arts organizations in the country. Interns will be exposed to skills and knowledge in the areas of fundraising, membership, donor development, and event planning in a professional non-profit setting. As part of the team that also organizes CAAM’s development and fundraising events, the intern will also have the opportunity to network with CAAM’s larger family of film and media makers, industry professionals, and community organizations.
You may be asked to help with the following:
- Assist with the administration of the membership program, including researching current and prospective members and donors
- Help maintain and update member, donor, and prospective member and donor records in CAAM’s customer relationship (CRM) system (DonorPerfect)
- Logistical support for special events and fundraisers planned before CAAMFest 2023
- Help with the planning for CAAM’s end of the calendar year individual fundraising campaign
- Help the Membership and Donor Relations Manager with membership and donation benefits fulfillment
- Draft copy and compile images for CAAM’s email newsletter, CAAM Connect, and email communications for members, donors, and supporters using Mad Mimi
- Work with the Membership and Donor Relations Manager to provide excellent customer service to CAAM Board Members, members, donors, and other constituents before, during, and after selected special events.
- Interest in non-profit arts fundraising as it relates to membership and individual donation programs
- Interest in and experience with providing customer service to different groups of people and communities
- Experience with online research
- Experience with effectively managing multiple projects at a time
- Experience working well independently and in a fast-paced, team setting
- Excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, follow-through, and initiative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience and familiarity with online video communication platforms like Zoom, StreamYard, Remo, Facebook Live, Google Hangouts, and YouTube, a plus
- Experience and competency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint) and Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Gmail, Calendar) are necessary
- Familiarity with email marketing tools like Mad Mimi, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, a plus
- Familiarity with DonorPerfect, Filemaker Pro, WordPress, and Adobe Photoshop/InDesign
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Chu, Membership and Donor Relations Manager, via email to email@example.com with “Development Intern (or Volunteer) – Membership & Fundraising Projects” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling deadline through Friday, July 29, 2022. No phone calls. Check CAAMedia.org for additional information.
ABOUT CAAM: CAAM is a media non-profit organization dedicated to presenting stories that convey the richness and diversity of Asian American experiences to the broadest audience possible. We do this by funding, producing, distributing, and exhibiting works in film, television, and digital media. CAAM is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more at www.caamedia.org.