Join CAAM at the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) for the Oakland premiere of the extraordinary documentary, LEITIS IN WAITING during Friday Nights @ OMCA and a special panel featuring professor and filmmaker Tina Takemoto on Friday, May 17 2019. Friday Nights @ OMCA features half-off gallery admission, Off the Grid food trucks, live music, family-friendly art activities, and more.
Part of CAAMFest’s Pacific Showcase, presented by Pacific Islanders in Communications (PIC), LEITIS IN WAITING, co-directed by Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu, Joe Wilson, and CAAMFest alum Dean Hamer, this award winning documentary tells the story of Tonga’s evolving approach to gender fluidity through a character-driven portrait of the most prominent leiti in the kingdom, Joey Joleen Mataele, a devout Catholic of royal descent. Special guests in attendance include co-director Joe Wilson. RSVP here.
Tickets to the film screening: $14 General, $12 OMCA and CAAM Members
Join OMCA and the Center for Asian American Media Festival (CAAMFest) for a lively conversation with award-winning Artist/Filmmaker Tina Takemoto. With two films (SWORDED LOVE and WAYWARD EMULSIONS) at CAAMFest37 and a selected artist of OMCA’s Queer California Exhibition, we are thrilled to celebrate Takemoto’s innovated and bold artistry and storytelling. Conversation moderated by CAAM’s Festival & Exhibitions Director Masashi Niwano. This program is part of OMCA Friday Nights and is free to public. RSVP here.
- 5-9pm – Friday Nights @ OMCA Off the Grid food trucks, live music, activities for all ages
- 5:30pm– A Conversation with Artist & Filmmaker Tina Takemoto in the Lecture Hall
- 6:50pm – Introductions to the film screening begins
- 7-8pm – LEITIS IN WAITING screening (ticket required – please arrive early) followed by Q&A with filmmakers and subjects
- 7-9pm – The Seshen – Oakland own electropop/soul band will be playing at the 10th Street Ampitheater