Three years ago, CAAM created the Memories to Light: Asian American Home Movies program to collect, preserve, and share the home movies (on 16mm, 8mm, and super 8mm film) and experiences of Asian American communities from across the United States from the 1920s through the 1980s. Since then, our team has gathered, archived, and digitized home movies from 19 families— comprising 180 films totaling about 15 hours of footage. The films represent diverse communities including Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Thai American and mixed-race families, representing 12 states and the District of Columbia.
We’re grateful to the home movie enthusiasts, archivists, community volunteers, filmmakers, community partner organizations and families who have shared their stories, expertise, time and skills to help us reach this point. Now, we’re ready to take Memories to Light to the next level.
Invest in the future of Memories to Light by donating $10 or more by August 14, 2015. Your investment will help us collect more home movies from diverse Asian and Asian American communities from all 50 states. So far, we’ve received $850, with 39 days left to meet our goal of $7,500.
Here are some other ways you can help:
- Share the campaign page www.CAAMedia.org/SupportMtL with 5 of your friends and relatives.
- Encourage your friends and other relatives to submit their home movie(s) and their story through our Memories to Light website.
- Share the campaign banner above, campaign emails and Facebook posts with your friends, relatives and networks and contacts. Below for your reference are two sample tweets and a sample Facebook post with the campaign links and campaign hashtags. Feel free to personalize your own tweets and Facebook posts and share your thoughts about the campaign.
- @CAAM‘s #MemoriestoLight team has digitized 150+ home movies! Help bring more stories light! caamedia.org/SupportMtL #ILoveAPAHomeMovies
- Help @CAAM preserve & share #HomeMovies through intimate footage of #APA life. Donate today! caamedia.org/SupportMtL #ILoveAPAHomeMovies
- Help @CAAM preserve, digitize, and share home movies as windows into the American experience through intimate footage of Asian American life from the 1920s-1980s! Donate today! caamedia.org/SupportMtL
- Hashtags: #ILoveAPAHomeMovies #MemoriestoLight