POSITION: Development Intern (or Volunteer) – Membership & Fundraising Projects
DURATION: August/September 2020 – January 31, 2021, preferred with option to extend if desired
TIME COMMITMENT: 10 – 15 hours per week (minimum of 10 hours/week preferred); may be asked to help with selected special programs and events on some weekends and evenings
COMPENSATION: Unpaid, college credit may be available
LOCATION: Until California and San Francisco lift the state-wide and county-wide stay-at-home orders, CAAM’s staff and interns are working remotely. All of CAAM’s programs and events will be presented virtually until these orders have been lifted and it is safe to resume in-person events.
The Center for Asian American Media (CAAM) is a national organization dedicated to presenting stories that convey the richness and diversity of Asian American experiences to the broadest audience possible. 2020 marks the 40th anniversary of CAAM’s founding.
CAAM seeks a motivated and outgoing Development Intern – Membership & Fundraising Projects who is passionate about the Asian American community and media arts to assist the CAAM Development and Communications team. The CAAM Development and Communications department manages all corporate sponsor, partner, Board member, member and donor relationships, and special events. The Development Intern – Membership & Fundraising Projects works closely with our Membership Manager and CAAM staff to help manage and provide excellent customer service to CAAM Board members, members, donors, and assist with the execution of CAAM’s member/supporter outreach, stewardship and cultivation efforts, and other fundraising activities. The programs and special events that this position may be asked to assist with include, but are not limited to: CAAM’s 40th Anniversary Celebration in Fall 2020, CAAMFest, member/supporter events, and other selected special events.
The intern(s) will be introduced to Asian American history and the world of public and independent media at one of the most prestigious Asian American media arts organizations in the country. Interns will be exposed to skills and knowledge in the areas of fundraising, membership and donor development and event planning in a professional non-profit setting. As part of the team that produces CAAM’s special events, the interns will also have the opportunity to network with CAAM’s larger family of film and media makers, industry professionals, and community organizations.
You may be asked to help with the following:
- Assist with the administration of the membership program, including researching current and prospective members/donors
- Help maintain and update member, donor and prospective member and donor records in CAAM’s customer relationship (CRM) system (DonorPerfect)
- Logistical support for special events and fundraisers
- Help the Membership Manager with membership and donation benefits fulfillment
- Assist with the planning of CAAM’s CAAM’s 40th Anniversary Celebration
- Work with the Membership Manager to provide excellent customer service to CAAM Board members, members, donors, and other constituents before, during, and after selected special events.
- Interest in non-profit arts fundraising as it relates to membership and individual donation programs
- Interest in and experience with providing customer service to different groups of people and communities
- Experience with online research
- Experience with effectively managing multiple projects at a time
- Experience working well independently and in a fast paced, team setting
- Excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, follow-through, and initiative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience and familiarity with online video communication platforms like Zoom, Facebook Live, Google Hangouts, YouTube, a plus
- Experience and competency with MS Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) and Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Gmail, Calendar) necessary
- Familiarity with email marketing tools like Mad Mimi, Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, a plus
- Familiarity with DonorPerfect, Filemaker Pro, WordPress, and Adobe Photoshop/InDesign
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Chu, Membership Manager, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Intern – Membership & Fundraising Projects” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling deadline through Friday, August 21, 2020. No phone calls. Check CAAMedia.org for additional information.
ABOUT CAAM: CAAM is a media non-profit organization dedicated to presenting stories that convey the richness and diversity of Asian American experiences to the broadest audience possible. We do this by funding, producing, distributing and exhibiting works in film, television and digital media. CAAM is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more at www.caamedia.org.