Thanks to the community’s enthusiastic support, we exceeded our $50,000 goal, raising $76,067 from 415 people for our campaign “Who is American?” Educational Outreach for the PBS Documentary THE CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT.
We appreciate everyone who shared this campaign and film with their friends, relatives and networks. Thanks to you, more people now know about this landmark, little known piece of federal legislation and why it is relevant to understanding the American experience – past, present, and future. We are grateful for your belief in CAAM and the impact of this campaign and film.
Our crowdfunding campaign was the first step of our larger goal to raise $400,000 to complete the creation, development and execution of our national strategy to provide educational curriculum about the Chinese Exclusion Act and host educational screenings of the film to students and teachers across the nation from 2017-2018.
Even though our crowdfunding campaign has finished, we are still seeking additional support and partners to join our educational outreach campaign.
Help us spread the word by:
- Saving the Date: THE CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT documentary will have its world premiere at CAAMFest, March 9-19, 2017. Stay tuned to CAAM’s website, Facebook, Twitter, and email newsletter CAAM Connect for updates about the film and the outreach campaign.
- Joining as a CAAM Sustaining Member and you’ll be among the first to find out the date, time and location of the world premiere of the film at CAAMFest. You’ll also receive the members-only discount on tickets to this screening, along with discounts on tickets to the other programs in our CAAMFest line up. For more information, contact Jennifer Chu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marking Your Calendars: THE CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT will have its national broadcast premiere on PBS’ acclaimed series American Experience in May 2017
- If you work for, are affiliated with or know of any schools or community groups who would like to receive a copy of the educational resources we’re developing for THE CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT documentary or would like to host an educational or community screening of the film, please fill the form at the bottom of this blog post on CAAM’s website.
- Check out some of the articles and press coverage on the campaign:
CAAM to develop “Who is American?” Public Engagement project and they need your help (YOMYOMF, August 15, 2016)
Support the Discussion About The Chinese Exclusion Act (Resonate, August 17, 2016)
CAAM to Launch “Who is American?” Education Campaign on Chinese Exclusion Act (NBC Asian America, August 18, 2016)
Make an Impact with CAAM “The Chinese Exclusion Act” Educational Outreach (NBC Bay Area, September 6, 2016)
In search of scapegoats, exclusion past and present (San Francisco Chronicle, September 9, 2016